Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Real Food Charter

Pin It
I'm on a Real Food journey. I begun learning about nutrition a few years now, but it's been a slow process. To be honest, my first motivation is probably weight loss. In a very close second place is a healthy body and lifestyle. I want to be active and have energy. I want great skin and a good figure. I want to be happy in my body. I want to teach my kids good nutrition and give them the best step forward in their health.
 
What I love about a Real Food journey is that you can start right away. You don't have to know EVERYTHING before making changes in your diet. I'm still learning and deciding what is best for my family. This is also new to us, so I'm taking it easy at first, then will hopefully tighten the strings a little as time goes on. My first step is to create My Real Food Charter for myself and my family. This will most likely change over the next few months as I learn more and try things out. So here goes:

Real Food
  • Is as close to it's natural state as possible.
  • Is not overly processed and does not contain more than 5 ingredients.
  • Has no added sugar in the first 3 ingredients listed.
  • Contains no artificial coloring, caramel coloring, MSG, Acesulfame-K, BHA, BHT, Olestra, Potassium Bromate, Propyl Gallate, Saccharin, Aspartame, Sodium Nitrate, and TBHQ.
  • Contains no refined carbs, such as white flour or high-fructose corn syrup.
  • Contains no factory processed polyunsaturated or hydrogenated vegetable oils.
  • Contains zero trans fats.
  • Is 100 percent whole wheat and whole grain.
  • Is organic, antibiotic-free chicken & eggs, preferably free range/pasture fed. 
  • Is grass fed, antibiotic-free, hormone-free beef.
  • Is local and organic milk. Antibiotic and hormone free. Grass fed preferred.
  • Includes organic produce off the 'Dirty Dozen' list. 
  • Is wild caught fish.
  • Contains vegetables and fruit at every meal.

If possible, buy:
  • Produce and animal products that are locally grown and raised
  • Organic & local cheese and yogurt products.
Now I know some of this will be hard to get used to, especially identifying the additives and preservatives listed above. I may not be able to do it all at first, I'll do my best though.

Christine Avanti's Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food gave me a lot of the definitions listed above. I highly suggest reading this book as a starting point. I also think Lisa Leake's 100 days of mini-pledges sounds like a great way to incorporate Real Food into your every day life. Feel free to join me on the journey to Real Food with the help of these lovely ladies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please be respectful.